BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #mousemaze-1 | 2019-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

MOUSE MAZE

You're the last mouse on Mouse Earth (which is just sewers, but with a nice name), and Mouse Earth (still just sewers) is about to get flooded by water! Will you escape the maze in time and protect the legacy of Mouse Earth? (sewers)

Features:

• cute mouse!
  • procedurally generated levels! yes, exactly like that No Man's Sky game!
  • cute graphics!
  • maze-oriented gameplay! yes, exactly like that DOOM game!
  • spooky music~
  • innovative!
  • disruptive!
  • FUN.

This is a small game that originally started as a submission for the 239th One Hour Game Jam, the theme of which was "Mouse Only", which is of course open to interpretation. I made the basic maze in 2 hours and then decided to take additional time (~8 hours) and make it a sweet little game. I really like the end result and I hope you do too, you lovely human you.

Unless you're a robot.

You lovely robot you.

Also on itch.io.

P#70202 2019-11-24 20:21 ( Edited 2019-11-25 11:31)

Cart #yofuyoraru-0 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#70199 2019-11-24 18:32 ( Edited 2019-11-24 19:12)

You may yourself have experimented with the IMPORT ability for Pico-8 to import sprite sheets. However if you tried it inside your own code, it doesn't work, that is until your program ends.

So how can this be accomplished ?

Well first off understand the method I found only works for the IDE, that is, this will not work Online, offline Java or exported to an EXE/Mac. It only works in the IDE.

Here is the code:

-- the power of import
-- written by dw817 (11-24-19)

import "one.png"
if sget(3,3)==0 then
  run""
end

cls()
?[[
there are no sprites in this
program. what you see was
loaded from an external file.
]]

for i=0,15 do
  spr(0,i*8,60)
end

repeat
  flip()
until forever

Save that as IMP.p8 if you like.

What's happening here ? It's pretty tricky actually. The first thing I do is import a .PNG file sized 8x8-pixels. Naturally it doesn't appear so the next line is TRUE, that is, the pixel at coordinates 3x3 on the sprite sheet is black. So then I RUN the program AGAIN.

At this point the IMPORT is added so the next statement is false. Then just run the rest of the code to show the sprite got loaded.

Here is a sprite to work with. Save it as ONE.PNG. Have it in the same directory as your IMP.p8 file.
[8x8]

Run the code and you will see it will import it after auto-executing it a 2nd time.

If you're content with this then you can indeed IMPORT any number of sprites, 256-at a pop per imported 128x128 pixels .png file if you like.

Perhaps in future Pico-8 you can indeed IMPORT or EXPORT any sprite sheet at any time without such methods, but this is not the case currently.

HOPE THIS HELPS !

P#70195 2019-11-24 17:25 ( Edited 2019-11-24 18:16)

Cart #bk_ftree-0 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

X to create a new seed, Z to grow it. Arrow keys do make it more or less gnarly, and the branches longer or shorter.

Was fooling around with generating trees for something entirely different, but thought this became fun enough to share.

P#70187 2019-11-24 13:50 ( Edited 2019-11-24 14:20)

I started working on a song of storms to get used to the editor. This is my first pico-8 song!
[sfx]

P#70174 2019-11-24 00:23

@zep:

I was trying out the one of the BBS carts in the Leapdroid for Windows. While running a cart does indeed go full-screen and put a nice control interface for touch-screen which does work BTW, the game screen itself flickers from sharp pixels to blurry pixels very nastily and seemingly randomly back and forth.

This does not occur with any other APKs I've installed.

Something else to consider.

P#70168 2019-11-23 17:25 ( Edited 2019-11-23 21:32)

Although there is a button on the sidebar that allows you to view the controls, however, you cannot rebind keyboard controls, to my knowledge. Does anyone know how to do this?

P#70161 2019-11-23 12:34

Cart #ndajabosa-0 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been working on a little remake of the classic Atari Star Wars game from 1983. It's been a lot of fun mixing my love of this game with the love of coding Pico 8.

I really had no idea if how to tackle this port and have never written anything close to a 3D / fake 3D rendered game before so its been a learning experience. Also Im sure there are much better ways of doing what Im doing but Im quite pleased with the results so far. For sure I can also optimise and refactor more and I hope to do that so I can include a high score table.

The game is in a alpha state at the moment as there is still a list of things to do including...

1) The fireballs don't shoot at all well in stage 1.
2) The player movement in stage 1 also needs some rework.
3) There are no difficulty settings yet, so I want to add the ramp up of difficulty.
4) More sounds to be added - big thanks to Hodgepants for helping me out here :)

In the meantime I hope you have some fun playing with what I've got so far.

Just one observation is that the game obviously runs much better in the windows/linux/mac version of Pico 8 compared to the browser version. I may need to release a 30 fps version for the browser.

Please also note the game control is mouse only.

P#70159 2019-11-23 12:02 ( Edited 2019-11-23 13:24)

Cart #yubipufita-1 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Work in progress by an average loser.

P#70140 2019-11-23 03:02 ( Edited 2019-11-23 04:10)

Cart #wumpusti99-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Clone of TI-99 Hunt the Wumpus Cartridge

P#70132 2019-11-23 00:01

Cart #bigger4you_galaxy_1-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first steps within pico-8. I started 1 year ago, but had to do a break.

Highscore is inspired from Commando ;)

Actually I am looking into enemy movement and a better highscore table
(highscore saving is missing)

P#70128 2019-11-22 23:13 ( Edited 2019-11-22 23:13)

The new (just noticed it changed today) HTML player here on the BBS doesn't seem to be able to keep a steady 60 FPS

I can really feel a bunch of frame jitter when playing Alfonzo's Bowling Challenge and it makes the physics feel very noticeably off

(testing on a MacBook Pro in both Chrome and Firefox. The old exported HTML version (0.1.12c) on itch still runs smoothly on this same computer)

P#70123 2019-11-22 21:50 ( Edited 2019-11-22 21:57)

I can tell there are new changes in the Lexaloffle BBS by the appearance of this underneath carts now:

" Code â–½ | Embed â–½"

With the new images of the down facing triangles.

If you are editing your message (or any previous message you wrote) and preview and attempt to click play your cart from the message editor - it will not work.

You click on the right-facing Play Triangle in the center of your cart preview and it acts like you did not click at all.

This proven to exist now in Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome browsers.

P#70117 2019-11-22 19:22 ( Edited 2019-11-23 04:28)

PLAY THE REMAKE HERE: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41010

Cart #everred-1 | 2024-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Everred is a mod of Celeste Classic that adds completely new levels, themes, and even a few features. There's also music remixes and new sprites. You should play Classic before playing this!

There's three routes through the game (Normal, Gemskip, and Trueskip) that you can take depending on which chests you open; however, the Gemskip and Trueskip routes require speedrun strats that aren't taught here. Lots of credit to Maddy and Noel from EXOK Games for their amazing game, and special thanks to the Celeste Classic Discord for all the help and feedback.

v1.1 patch notes: https://petthepetra.itch.io/everred/devlog/661844/everred-v11

P#70101 2019-11-22 17:47 ( Edited 2024-01-07 10:03)

UPDATE 1: Added achievements, fixed a few visual bugs.

Cart #onlyebadgu-1 | 2020-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So, I participated in the GMTK Game Jam this year, and never really thought to put my result up here. I did decently well, but spent a bit too long looking into theme rather than mechanics, so the ending was a tad rushed and is unfinished. The rest of the game is still a fun experience, I hope.
I may update the game further if you want me to.

OLD VERSIONS:

Cart #onlyebadgu-0 | 2019-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#70105 2019-11-22 02:52 ( Edited 2020-06-19 01:34)

This is the adjusted controls to work with mobile devices.

Cart #gadotajzi-0 | 2019-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#70090 2019-11-21 03:43

Hello Pico-8 community.

Cart #subedunebo-0 | 2019-11-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game so please let me know what you think of it. This is an extremely early version of the game, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

P#70087 2019-11-21 02:35 ( Edited 2019-11-21 02:40)

Cart #loop_n_scoop-11 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Penguin Pete's Loop N Scoop

This is my first pico8 game and is still a work in progress for Game Off 2019! Feedback is appreciated. :)

Help Penguin Pete run his ice cream truck as you avoid deadly predators!

Collect ONLY flavors needed for your next order, or it's game over.

Combos

Get combos and spawn wildcards by completing orders in one move.
Wildcards count for any flavor and will fill the FIRST incomplete scoop in your order.
Consecutive combos will increase points received for the next order.

Powerups

Get powerups for every 5 orders completed.

• SHIELD protects you temporarily when you collide with an enemy.
  • SLOW TIME makes enemies and ice cream scoops move 75% slower. (Your speed remains the same.)

Changelog

v0.4.1, v0.4.2 - gameplay tweaks
v0.4.0 - add combo bonuses
v0.3.4 - improvement: add timer for slow time powerup
v0.3.3 - bugfix: don't die when picking up scoop if there's no current order
v0.3.2 - bugfix: count order before death
v0.3.1 - bugfix: spawn wildcard after player turn
v0.3.0 - add powerups (shield, slow time)
v0.2.0 - add wildcard flavor
v0.1.1 - bugfix: runtime error when scoop is in player path right after completing an order
v0.1.0 - initial wip submission

P#70074 2019-11-20 17:11 ( Edited 2019-11-23 02:36)

ha
by dw817
Cart #ha-1 | 2019-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Having been experimenting with compressing screens of pixels I was wondering if it were possible to write a compressor that returned the results of a dithered image. That is, where the output results would be difficult or impossible to compress effectively using standard methods of image compression.

And this is a 1st stage. Tomorrow if I have time I'll work on and post the 2nd stage. If it's successful it will also dither an image but in a third of the current compression space (less than 512-chars) yet still span the full screen.

For instance this particular image compresses from 16384-chars (raw image) to 1457-chars. Obviously it does not include all 16-colors and instead relies on a black and white table that is a size of 5. Five because I want to have both solid black and white in it.

Yet I think this is useful, especially if someone wants to include a large number of "clipart" images in their cart and for them to be dithered, perhaps for an adventure or mystery game that relies on many pictures.

P#70058 2019-11-20 05:05 ( Edited 2019-11-20 05:08)

Cart #packbat_palettes_demo-1 | 2020-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

revision 1: use pal(#,#,1) commands instead of poke() commands to set colors on screen palette.

I spent a while being very, very confused about screen palettes and draw palettes, but I've started to feel like I've got a hang of it? And I decided to make a visual expression of how these work as a PICO-8 cart.

In the default state, the screen palette contains the sixteen colors of the default palette - 0-15 - and the draw palette links the sixteen draw colors 0-15 directly to these default colors.

When the draw palette changes, different colors from the screen palette are loaded into the draw color slots. The sprite still refers to the same draw colors - in this case, 0-3 across the top, 4-7 in the second row, 8-11 in the second-to-bottom row, and 12-15 in the bottom row - but these draw colors have been redefined in terms of the screen palette.

...and the screen palette in turn can be redefined by changing the colors in its 16 slots.

I think how this is intended to be understood is:

• 4 components: video output hardware (5-bit input, RGB output), screen palette RAM (4-bit address, 8-bit output), screen data RAM (14-bit address, 4-bit output), draw palette lookup table RAM (4-bit address, 4-bit output)
  • Every sixtieth of a second, one frame of graphics is sent to the monitor. As the hardware scans through the 128x128 pixels of the screen data, the 4-bit screen data output addresses the screen palette RAM, and the high-order bit plus lower 4 bits of the screen palette output goes to the video output hardware. (I can attest from having bugs in my screen palette code for a while that the other bits in the screen palette are ignored.)
  • When commands are run to draw graphics on the screen, the 4-bit addresses to be drawn go through the draw palette lookup table to set the 4 bits actually stored in the corresponding addresses of the screen data RAM.

Or, in less technical terms: the data stored for the sprite (or whatever) chooses a row in the draw palette (center) which chooses a row in the screen palette (left) which chooses a color on the screen. Changing the draw palette doesn't change what the screen shows until PICO-8 draws something new to the screen data; changing the screen palette does.

What honestly made it click for me, though, was thinking in practical terms.

The draw palette, for example, is a tool for recoloring images as I draw them. For example, if I have this little gray box stored as a sprite in my sprite sheet:

then I can use the draw palette to declare that I'm drawing it as an orange sprite instead:

The screen palette, on the other hand, I think of as 16 meanings. Rather than thinking of the, say, 11th color in the screen palette as a color, when I am using the screen palette to change the colors of images, I think of it by its purpose: in this case, the color of the character's shirt.

Then, changing that color represents a change corresponding to that meaning: to put the value 136 in screen palette slot 11, then, is to say that the color of the character's shirt is not green, it is red.

These ideas can obviously be combined - perhaps screen palette 1 is the color of player 1's vehicle and screen palette 2 is the color of player 2's vehicle, and which color is drawn when a vehicle sprite is drawn is selected using the draw palette. Thus, both players can select the colors of their vehicles and both vehicles can be drawn using the same sprites.

This is very long and probably well-known in the community, but I figured I'd make the tutorial anyway because I'm proud of figuring this out.

P#70054 2019-11-20 03:02 ( Edited 2020-01-16 15:51)
View Older Posts